District Health Department #2

Serving Alcona, Iosco, Ogemaw & Oscoda Counties

West Branch office (989) 345-5020 · Tawas office (989) 362-6183 · Harrisville office (989) 724-6757 · Mio office (989) 826-3970 · Toll-free 1(800) 504-2650

Food Establishments and STFU's

Michigan’s Food Law 2000 Act 92 PA 2000 as amended requires that a person preparing or serving food to the public obtain a food service license. License categories may include:

  • Fixed Food Service Establishments- annual, seasonal, or limited license
  • Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU)
  • Vending Machines
  • Mobile Food Unit

Food licenses require regular inspections and approval by the health department. The Board of Health has approved fees for many program services. The basic goal of the health department's Food Service Program is to ensure food safety and prevent foodborne illnesses.

Food Service License Attachments

All restaurant owners within the District Health Department #2 service area should have received a  Food Service License Renewal Letter in the mail.

Prior to sending in the application and fee, the Food Service License Attachment should be reviewed, which includes important information on the following topics:

Emergency Situations, including no electricity and no water
Plans required for Remodeling or New Construction
Selling a Food Service Establishment
Seasonal Food Service Operations
Special Transitory Food Units (STFU) and Mobile Food Establishments
Water Sampling Requirements for Food Establishments with On-Site Water Wells
Follow-up Inspection Fees
Enforcement Action Fees
Manager Certification
Smoke Free Air Law
The Michigan Department of Agriculture has additional information on Food Safety: