Food Establishments and STFU

Michigan’s Food Law 2000 Act 92 PA 2000 as amended requires that a person preparing or serving food to the public obtain a food service license. License categories may include:

  • Fixed Food Service Establishments- annual, seasonal, or limited license
  • Special Transitory Food Unit (STFU)
  • Vending Machines
  • Mobile Food Unit

Food licenses require regular inspections and approval by the health department. The Board of Health has approved fees for many program services. The basic goal of the health department’s Food Service Program is to ensure food safety and prevent foodborne illnesses.

Food Service License Attachments

All restaurant owners within the District Health Department No. 2 service area should have received a Food Service License Renewal Letter in the mail.

Prior to sending in the application and fee, the Food Service License Attachment should be reviewed, which includes important information on the following topics:

  • Emergency Situations, including no electricity and no water
  • Plans required for Remodeling or New Construction
  • Selling a Food Service Establishment
  • Seasonal Food Service Operations
  • Special Transitory Food Units (STFU) and Mobile Food Establishments
  • Water Sampling Requirements for Food Establishments with On-Site Water
  • Wells
  • Follow-up Inspection Fees
  • Enforcement Action Fees
  • Manager Certification
  • Smoke Free Air Law

The Michigan Department of Agriculture has additional information on Food Safety:

View MDA’s Food Safety Information.