Residential and Type III Public Water Supplies

Before construction of a  private or type III public water well, or making extensive changes to an existing well, a person must provide District Health Department No.2 (DHD2) with a Notification/Permit Form describing the intended water well location and construction.  The Notification/Permit Form must be purchased, completed and then submitted to DHD2 for approval at least four (4) business days in advance of well construction.

Construction of water supplies must comply with the state’s Well Construction Code and with DHD2’s local sanitary code. The Health Department conducts final inspections on completed wells at select locations to assure compliance with the Well Construction Code. Predrilling Site Evaluations and/or Random Construction Inspections will be conducted on the remaining well sites.

Wells must be constructed by well drilling contractors registered in the State of Michigan.  A person may construct a well for their own home; however they must submit a Notification/Permit Form first, comply with construction codes, and be given written authorization from the Health Department to construct their own well based on a pre-drilling site visit.

Additional fees and inspections may be required for persons that wish to keep an existing well at locations where a new replacement well is constructed. Related information can be obtained by clicking here for Water Supply Policies.
Types of Drinking Water Supplies
APrivate (Residential) On-site water wells that serve water for consumption and house hold use to private homes
BPublic Water Supplies
Type ICommunity Water Supplies
These community water supplies serve municipalities and groups of homes where there are 15 or more living units.  They are regulated by the MDNRE.
Type IINon Community Supplies
These non-community water supplies serve 25 or more persons 60 days a year, or locations where there are 15 or more service connections.
Type III Public Water Supplies
This type of public supply comprises all public water supplies that are not Type I or Type II Public Water Supplies.


Other Water Supplies

A. Other Wells:
DHD2 regulates other types of water wells such as industrial wells, test wells, dewatering wells, geothermal wells, and irrigation wells

B. Hauled Water Systems:
These types of systems are permitted in unusual situations when water wells are not able to be drilled.  Plans must be submitted to the Health Department for approval prior to construction.


This page was last updated on November 16th, 2022.